February 7, 2008

God Doesn't Make Mistakes

Welcome to the first installment of my blog. I'm not sure where all of this will end up, but I think it will be an interesting journey.

Really, though, why am I doing this? That's a good question. I think it will be a testament of where I was and where God has brought me to.


For much of my adult life I felt alone and like an outsider. Sure, I looked OK on the outside, but inside I was lonely and closed-off. I was blessed with a wonderful husband, children and family, but outside that I didn't really feel like I belonged anywhere. I felt broken and defective. So many days I just went through the motions, hoping that the connections and acceptance I yearned for would come. But as the years passed it got worse instead of better. And brick by brick I built a wall around myself.

Then one day, about eight years ago, my doctor called to give me test results. "You have cancer," I heard her say. In the blink of an eye, life wouldn't be the same again.

At the time I wasn't a Christian. I was cynical and intellectual and I wasn't even sure how I felt about God (even though my family and I went to church occassionally.) But having cancer and facing the possibility of dying has a way of getting one's attention—and forcing you to see differently. Through it all, cards and prayers and the kindness of others kept me going. My grandmother sent me a card in which she simply wrote, "God's love is everywhere." I read it and cried because I could see it was true. Even in the midst of this scary, uncertain experience, God's love was there. The first few bricks of the fortress I'd built around myself had been removed. The softening had begun.

My cancer was cured surgically in a few months, but it would be several years before I let go of my hurt and my cynicism toward Christianity, and let God close to my heart. I knew that God wanted me to learn something from this experience. One thing came through loud and clear, my health is a gift! This knowledge led to quite an experience. (I'll share some of those adventures in future posts.)


My "spiritual journey," if it could even be called that, was a process of two steps forward, one step back that went on for years. Until one day, I was at a program at church for my kids. The feelings of loneliness were overwhelming. With no where else to turn, I sought out the pastor. He listened to me as I poured out my heart, my fears, my hurts. Things I never admitted out loud. And then he prayed for healing. He asked the Lord to show me His love and acceptance. I was broken and I admitted it. I asked Jesus to come into my life.

Guess what, He did! And He started to heal me.

Accepting that God did NOT make a mistake when he made me has been one of my biggest hurdles to overcome. And I admit that I still struggle at times, comparing my “insides” to other people’s “outsides.” But, I know that God didn’t make a mistake because God doesn’t make mistakes. My personality, talents, interests and experiences are just as God wants them to be—and he has a plan with my name on it.

You know what? I’m pretty certain that God has a plan that uniquely designed just for you, too.

So, this is a little insight into this journey that I’m on. I have seen God use and transform me in ways that awe and humble me. I’m writing this aren’t I?


Now there’s proof that an awesome God can use an ordinary girl like me.

8 comments:

Dan said...

OK, KelliGirl. You beat me into the blogosphere. But, at least I can be your first Comment! And what a wonderful first post...I hope it does exactly what you do every day already - reach people and lead them into the Light.

Sharon Sloan said...

Dear Kelli: I am so excited you started a blog! Wow! You go girl! He is an awesome God! I pray you always honor Him with the gifts He has given you! I am so excited to see what He is going to birth in your heart and the fruit of which we can parttake! All for His Glory!
Sharon :)

Lysa TerKeurst said...

Rumor has it... you might be coming to She Speaks? If so, I can't wait to meet you. Any friend of Sharon Sloan's is a friend of mine.

Sweet Blessings,
Lysa

Patty said...

Hey Kelli, I loved your insight once again. It reminded me of our wonderful lunches. How about soon? Once again, you so touched me with your words, thanks for being so inspiring. I don't feel so alone.

Diane Campbell said...

Kelly, from one "Ordinary Girl" to another, you are anything but ordinary. We are all special in some way and you are constantly showing how SPECIAL you are. Good luck with your blog. I am sure you will help people find something they didn't even know they were looking for. God made not mistake when he made YOU!!
XOXO - Diane

Peggy said...

Dear KelliGirl, WOW!!!! As a WOW,(Wise Older Woman), I am blessed to have you as a friend...ther is always someone who teaches each of us new things, and I know that as you have allowed me to walk with you I will continue to learn and grow in Christ's love and grace.
Thank you for encluding me in this journey.
Blessings and Love,
Peggy

Katherine "Speedracer" Russaw said...

Kelli-
Congratulations on your new blog! This is wonderful that you are using your gifts to make an impact on others.
I can so relate to this article, I still feel this way sometimes. But at least there is hope.
Many blessings in all that you do for the glory of Christ!
Blessings,
Katherine

Unknown said...

Dear Kelli,

Wow! I love the fact that you began a blog. I love your writing, especially this entry. And I love that you thought to invite me to view your work of creativity.

I'm sure that I'll check into your blog again and again! ;-)

I'm so glad we're back in touch!

Justin Gung